Mayo Window Mayo window The Mayo window was designed by Francis H. Spear and donated by the two sons of Dr William Worrell Mayo in memory of their father.  it was dedicated by the Bishop of Manchester, Dr Guy Warman, on 25th July 1929 in the presence of the donors and their sister Mrs. Berkwell.  Among the large congregation were the president and the members of the British Medical Association which was holding its annual conference in Manchester at the time. Dr Mayo was baptised in Eccles in 1819 and died in Rochester, Minnesota in 1911.  He emigrated to America in 1845 and married Louise Wright; he received a degree in medicine from the University of Missouri in 1854 before going to the then frontier area of Minnestoa.  In 1862 he served as a surgeon with a relief force sent to quell the Sioux Indians (his wife is said to have dressed in men’s clothing and fought by his side).  In 1863 he moved to Rochester, Minnesota. Twenty years later when a cyclone hit  the Town Mayo was in charge of the emergency hospital, working alongside the sisters of the Order of St. Francis. Mayo’s two sons, William James (1861-1939) and Charles Horace (1865 - 1939) both became surgeons.  They joined him as the first medical staff at St Mary’s hospital in Rochester when it was opened in 1889 by the sisters of St Francis. The three men organised the world’s first “integrated group practice” which, in 1909, became known as the Mayo Clinic.  Originally considered unconventional, their teamwork approach has influenced patient care throughout the world. The Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research was established by the two brothers in 1915.  The Mayo Clinic (www.mayoclinic.org) now embraces almost two thousand physicians, surgeons and scientists and employs and trains over 30 000 students, postgraduates and allied health staff.